Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Greatest Thing A Man Can Do

Hi Leif,

I hope this note finds you well and happy.  Your getting to be a right old man! You've got a couple days in the bank, things are looking good.  I'm doing pretty well myself.  Went to work.  The usual thing.  Got a little caught in the drudgery of the usual thing, but that's okay.  For, in doing the usual thing, I have done the greatest thing.  Lucky for you I am your uncle so you have full permission to bask in the glow of my greatness. 
Seriously though Leif, this did bring up something that I wanted to speak with you about (with full permission from your parents, of course).  Leif I want to let you know that you too can do the greatest thing.  This will be difficult, but I have faith enough in your gene pool that I'm at least sure you'll come around to making the right choice in your own time.  Here you go my boy:
The most important thing in life (and thereby the most difficult) is faithfully doing the mundane day to day things to your best of your abilities.  The greatest men on earth quietly went to work day in and day out, took out the trash, played with their children, took time with their spouse and time for God.  Men tend to be a bit of a selfish animal, Leif, it takes a real one to stick to their families and responsibilities.  It is my greatest hope that you will turn into a man of moral virtue, courage and fortitude.  Thirty years from now when your alarm (I really wanted to type 'bell' there.  Can we still say 'alarm bell'?) anyway when the whatever goes off that tells you that a new day is here and it's time to get up, you'll be a man that can be counted on to take care of business.
If not, don't worry about it, I'll be there to wake you up.  Social security will be so messed up by then that each of us old folks will probably be assigned a youngster whose work output pays a direct percentage into our monthly checks.  I put dibs on you.

Love - Uncle Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment